Sunday, January 25, 2015

Polyamory is Not the New Word for Cheating

Like I’ve written before, I’m on few mono/poly groups.  What I’ve been reading in some of these groups lately is that a few people posting about having caught their partners having an affair and that the partner is using the “I’m a poly” card.  Nope; sorry; not buying it!  What that person is, is a cheater who got busted!

In my post “Me Time”, I talked about M and I attending a talk about polyamory. Now I know that there are different definitions about polyamory,  but everyone in the poly community tends to agree on one thing; and that is if you do not tell your partner about the person you want to see and you go ahead to see them, then that is cheating period.  End of story.  Now your partner may be an honest to goodness poly, but not telling you about their newest relationship is cheating.

If your partner doesn’t tell you about a relationship beforehand, to me, speaks volumes. In my book, by not talking about the new relationship before it happens, you are saying to your partner that you really don’t care about their feelings. Relationships should have these major key ingredients which are openness, honesty, and communication.  Whether you are in a relationship that you want to open up, or like me who is in a mono/poly one, you need to talk about other relationships before they happen.  M and I have talked about when to tell me when he is going to start seeing another person.  After much discussion and my usual thing of “if the situation was reversed, how would you feel,” we agreed upon me knowing before the first date.  Maybe you would like to know after a few dates and that’s fine, but that is up to you and your partner to decide before anything happens.

Just like everything else out there, there are people who play by the rules and those who don’t.  Using the poly card “when caught”is not in the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment